Here are the best information about can you cook a pizza on a blackstone griddle voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
Griddle pizza is a new and innovative culinary trend that allows you to make delicious home-based pizzas. Many people are skeptical about this cooking technique because griddles are very different from ovens.
Moreover, the Blackstone company discontinued its pizza oven, leaving more people confused and wondering whether it was right to cook pizza on the grill. To solve this puzzle, I did an in-depth research and found some valuable information on the best techniques to cook pizza on a Blackstone griddle.
Table of Contents
How to Cook Pizza on Blackstone Griddle
The first step to cooking pizza on the Blackstone griddle is to preheat the grill to 350 or 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Set the griddle on medium-high and place your pizza dough. You can cover it with a pizza dome lid or griddle hood. Cook for 3-5 minutes and examine the underside. If cooked, flip, turn down the heat, and add your desired toppings. After about 7-10 minutes, the pizza will be ready.
How to Make Pizza on a Griddle Surface
Griddles are increasingly becoming popular due to their excellent cooking results and versatility. Although many people have trouble believing that they can cook delicious pizzas on a griddle surface, it is possible and practical.
If you love trying out different cooking skills, making pizza on a Blackstone griddle will undoubtedly excite you. If you follow the steps below, you can be sure to get an evenly cooked pizza with a soft interior and a crispy exterior.
When cooking pizza on a griddle, ensure that you season the cooktop adequately to prevent the bottom from sticking or burning.
Step-by-Step Process on How to Cook Pizza on Blackstone Griddle
Step 1: Make the Pizza Dough
To make the pizza dough, you will need warm water, all-purpose or bread flour, instant yeast, and salt. The flour provides the bulk of the dough structure, while the yeast and salt give elasticity to the dough. If you please, you can also add some sugar, olive oil, dried basil leaves, and garlic powder.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl to make a pizza crust. You can also use a pizza dough mixer or a bread maker mixer to get a more consistent dough.
Cover the pizza dough and let it rest for two hours at room temperature. Within this time, the dough should rise and double in size.
If you find making the dough from scratch challenging, you can use a premade pizza crust. It is convenient and time-saving.
Step 2: Prepare the Toppings
Preparation is the first step to cooking a perfect pizza. Ensure that all the ingredients and toppings that you intend to use are ready before you begin cooking.
Go ahead and soften vegetables, and cook meat and pepperoni on the griddle. The large Blackstone griddle cooktop will allow you to cook all the ingredients at the same time. Scoop them into a bowl and set them aside.
Remember to scrape off the food residues and clean the grill after cooking.
Step 3: Cook Your Pizza
- First, heat up the Blackstone grill to 350 or 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a food thermometer to measure the temperature and adjust it accordingly.
- Place your pizza dough on the already-seasoned grill and adjust the heat settings to medium-high.
You can place the pizza directly on the griddle surface or use a pizza stone. Cover the dough with a griddle hood or pizza dome lid to create enough heat to cook the top of the pizza evenly and fully.
- It will take 3 to 5 minutes for the dough to cook, depending on its thickness. Remove the dome or hood and examine the underside to see if it is ready. You can use a metal spatula to observe the dough underneath.
- If the pizza is well-cooked on the underside, flip
- Turn down the heat and add your toppings to the cooked surface. Start with the pizza sauce and spread it evenly all over the crust. Next, add vegetables, followed by meat, and then cheese. Mozzarella and cheddar cheese are the most recommended.
- After adding the toppings and other preferred ingredients, adjust the griddle temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cover the pizza with a pizza dome and let it rest for about 7 to 10 minutes. However, the time varies depending on how long the cheese will take to melt and whether the underside is fully cooked and crispy. Do not wait for too long to prevent burning the top or overcooking the bottom of the crust.
- Keep monitoring the temperature of the dough with an infrared food thermometer. Sometimes, it can be difficult to determine whether the dough is ready by just looking at it. In this case, the thermometer will help you keep the temperatures in check.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
Once the cheese melts and you are certain the pizza is ready, remove it from the griddle surface using a pizza peel or spatula. Allow the pizza to cool down for a few minutes, and then slice it up and serve.
Why Did Blackstone Discontinue Their Pizza Oven?
Blackstone had a line of branded pizza ovens, but it did not take long before they discontinued the ovens. Although they did not give a straightforward explanation for this action, here is what we found out in our research:
It is easy and quick to cook pizza on a flat griddle surface without a pizza oven. As such, it was not necessary to develop the oven in the first place. This could have been the major reason why they discontinued the manufacturing of pizza ovens.
Contrary to Blackstone griddles, Blackstone pizza ovens were below par when compared to similar products from other manufacturers. The oven was very tiny and difficult to use. You had to cook all the ingredients beforehand, which is not workable and reliable.
This product could have tarnished Blackstone’s reputation due to numerous customer complaints, the other reason they chose to discontinue it. They have not introduced a replacement product since then.
Accessories You Might Need for Cooking Pizza on Blackstone Griddle
A Blackstone pizza peel, sometimes referred to as a pizza shovel, is a thin, flat, wooden paddle with a long handle. It is used to slide pizzas in and out of the oven. You can also use it to transfer the pizza from one surface to another.
Blackstone griddles do not come with a hood or cover. Instead of purchasing a griddle hood, you can opt for a pizza dome or cheese melting dome.
The dome has an oven-like design ideal for keeping your pizza crunchy and crispy and preventing the cheese from drying out or burning. It fits perfectly on top of the pizza and allows even cooking.
This tool is useful for cutting pizzas. It resembles a wheel and has a sharp-edged roller. A pizza wheel is also referred to as a pizza cutter, slicer, or blade.
Infrared Food Thermometer
You will need a thermometer to monitor the temperatures of your grill when cooking pizza. This way, you will know when to adjust the heat to prevent burning the crust.
A Grill Apron
When cooking on a Blackstone griddle, a grilling apron is a worthwhile investment. It protects your clothing from grease splatter and other food spillages.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you cook pizza on a griddle grill?
Yes, you can cook the pizza on the skillet directly and then move the griddle to the grill. This method is perfect because you will not place the pizza directly on the grill grates. It creates no spills or messes and is the ideal outdoor pizza.
Can you cook a frozen pizza on a Blackstone griddle?
You can cook a frozen pizza on a Blackstone griddle. First, remove the pizza from the freezer ahead of time to allow it to thaw. Remove all wrappings from the pizza and leave it at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes.
Heat up the grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, place the frozen pizza at the center and cover with a pizza dome. Allow it to cook for 5 to 7 minutes until it bubbles up around the edges. Flip and continue cooking until the crust gets brown and crispy.
Can you bake on a Blackstone griddle?
Absolutely! You can bake on a Blackstone griddle. The grill is excellent for making cupcakes, biscuits, muffins, cookies, cakes, and scones. First, preheat the grill to 350 or 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, season the griddle surface and place the dough.
Cover the dough with a griddle lid to create an oven-like environment for the dough to bake. If you don’t have a lid, improvise a large-enough cover that is resistant to high heat. Baking on a Blackstone grill is ideal when you are out camping and don’t have an oven.
Cooking pizza on the Blackstone grill is easy and quick when you follow the correct steps. The first and most critical step is making the pizza dough. Ensure that you have the right portions of each ingredient and mix correctly. Instead of making the dough from scratch, you can buy a premade pizza crust.
Pre-cook the toppings beforehand and cook your pizza on medium-high. Then, lower the temperatures to prevent burning. Also, cover your pizza with a dome or griddle hood to allow it to cook evenly.
Top 4 can you cook a pizza on a blackstone griddle edited by Top Chef
Blackstone Pepperoni Pizza – Fork To Spoon
- Author: forktospoon.com
- Published: 10/22/2022
- Review: 4.86 (608 vote)
- Summary: Add the sliced or diced pepperoni. Turn on the Blackstone to medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, add some oil to the griddle, and then wait about 1-2 minutes,
The New Blackstone Pizza Oven for the 22″ Griddle – Grizzly BBQ
- Author: grizzlytroy.com
- Published: 04/18/2022
- Review: 4.78 (355 vote)
- Summary: · With this style of pizza, I left the burners on high, with the door closed, rotating it every 45 seconds. It finished in about two minutes and
How to Cook Delicious Pizza on a Blackstone Griddle
- Author: griddlesizzle.com
- Published: 09/24/2022
- Review: 4.34 (474 vote)
- Summary: Whether you want to make a pizza from scratch, throw together prepared ingredients, or use a store-bought frozen pizza, you can do it all on a griddle. Here are
- Matching search: Cover the pizza with a pizza dome and let it rest for about 7 to 10 minutes. However, the time varies depending on how long the cheese will take to melt and whether the underside is fully cooked and crispy. Do not wait for too long to prevent …
Frozen Pizza On A Blackstone Griddle (Crazy Or Brilliant?)
- Author: thrillinggrilling.com
- Published: 08/07/2022
- Review: 4.19 (392 vote)
- Summary: · Can You Cook A Frozen Pizza On A Blackstone Griddle? … Yes, but the results are underwhelming. Even when covering the pizza with a cooking dome,
- Matching search: The problem with that is that the crust was starting to get overcooked and if I left it on much longer it would have burned. And for the last five minutes of the cook there was really no change in the pizza toppings at all, so I really didn’t think …